- Thank you for buying our courses. We want to make sure that our users have a rewarding experience while they are discovering information, assessing, and purchasing our training courses, whether it may be for online or classroom training courses.
Cancellation & Refunds: Classroom Training/Instructor led online training
CertifyEx, reserves the right to postpone/cancel an event, or change the location of an event because of insufficient enrolments, instructor illness or force-majeure events (like floods, earthquakes, political instability, etc.)
- In case CertifyEx, cancels an event, 100% refund will be paid to the delegate.
- If a cancellation is done by a delegate 10 days or more, prior to the event, 10% of total paid fee will be deducted and the remaining 90% amount will be refunded back to the delegate.
- If a cancellation is done by a delegate 5 days or less, prior to the event, no refunds will be made.
Cancellation & Refunds: Online Training
- If the cancellation is done by the delegate within 48 hours of subscribing, 10% of total paid fee will be deducted as administration fee.
- If the cancellation is done by the delegate after 48 hours of subscribing no refund will be made.
- In case of third party courses, 50% of total paid fee will be levied as administration and cancellation charges will be levied on the total fee paid by the delegate and the remaining amount will be paid if the cancellation is done within 48 hours of subscription.
- No refund will be made to the delegate after 48 hours of subscribing to the course.
Refunds: Duplicate payment
Refund of the duplicate payment made by the delegate will be processed via same source (original method of payment) within 15 to 21 working days after intimation by the customer. Note: All refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of the refund request.